Obedience to God means to hear his word, trust Him, submit and surrender completely to Him. Obedience is the gateway to supernatural abundance.
- You cannot have good success in life if you ignore the instructions in God’s word. Obey the instructions and you will be prosperous and successful (Jos.1:18).
- Your distinction in life is tied to your compliance with the instructions contained in God’s word (Deut. 28:1).
- Sacrifice is not a substitute to obedience (1 Samuel 15:22–23). Forty days fasting without obedience is personal punishment. It does not secure any favour from God for you. But there is great reward when you obey God and His word.
1st Lession (Leviticus 26:1-13)
Two very important commandments of God:
- Do not make and worship idols.
- Observe my Sabbaths and have reverence for my sanctuary. I am the Lord (Lev. 26:1-2).
If you follow God’s decrees and carefully obey His commands, He will surely bless you:
- He will send you rain; you will be fruitful; have bountiful harvest and live in safety in your land (vv3-5).
- God will grant you peace; you will not be afraid.
- He will remove all forms of destruction from your land. You will pursue all your enemies and defeat them (vv6-7).
- God will look on you with favor and make you fruitful and increase your numbers. He will also keep His covenant with you (vv8-9).
- He will be your God, and you will be His people (v12).
2nd Lesson (John 4:34-38)
Jesus said to His disciples “My meat is to do the will of him that sent me and to finish his work” (John 4:34).
- This implies complete obedience to God.
- The joy of doing what the Father sent Him to do and of finishing the work was more captivating than food and everything else in the world (Heb.12:2-3).
Why obedience to God is important.
Jesus calls us to obedience:
In Jesus Christ we find the perfect model of obedience. As his disciples, we follow Christ’s example as well as his commands. Our motivation for obedience is love: If you love me, you will keep my commandments. (John 14:15).
Obedience to God proves our love:
· Loving God implies following his commands (1 John 5:2–3).
- Love means doing what God has commanded us, and he has commanded us to love one another (2 John 6).
Obedience to God demonstrates our faith
When we obey God, we show our trust and faith in Him:
- And we can be sure that we know him if we obey his commandments. If someone claims, “I know God,” but doesn’t obey God’s commandments, that person is a liar and is not living in the truth (1 John 2:3–6).
Disobedience leads to sin and death
- The disobedience of Adam brought sin and death into the world. This is the basis of the term “original sin.” (Romans 5:19).
- By Christ’s obedience many will be made righteous. For as in Adam all die, so also in Christ shall all be made alive (1 Corinthians 15:22).
God Rewards Obedience
Over and over again we read in the Bible that God blesses and rewards obedience:
- If you are willing and obedient, you shall eat of the good of the land (Is. 1:19).
- If you obey and serve Him, you shall spend your days in prosperity and your years in pleasures (Job 36:11).
- Jesus replied, “But even more blessed are all who hear the word of God and put it into practice.” (Luke 11:27-28).
This is the conclusion of the matter: We have assurance of salvation (greatest grace) if we obey and keep the commandments of God (1 John 3:21-24).