You have very important decisions to make today. You must decide whether:
- To serve God or other gods.
- To love Jesus or love this world.
God is challenging you today to choose. Whatever decision you make has a life defining and everlasting consequences.
But God is good. He has spelt out what choice you must make:
- He commands you to choose life and good (Deut.30:15-19).
- We are not left with the option of not serving someone (either the devil intentionally or not) or the Lord (Rom.6:16).
- There is no neutrality in the matters of the spirit (Rev.3:15-16).
- You will reap whatever you sow (Gal.6:7-8).
1st Lesson (Joshua 24:1-15)
Before God challenged Israel, He reminded her of His great works and faithfulness to her as a people.
- He took Abraham from the other side of the River where they served other gods (Jos. 24:2).
- Ensured Israel defeated all her enemies and possessed their land (Jos. 24:8).
- God gave Israel a land for which she did not labor, and cities which she did not build, eat of the vineyards and olive groves which she did not plant (Jos. 24:13).
If God has been so faithful, why should we serve other gods that are not gods? (Jer. 2:5). God is challenging you today to choose between Him and your alternative gods (Jos 24:14-15).
Let us be honest, since you turned away from God and started pursuing vain things of the world: lust of the flesh, lust of the eyes and pride of life, what profit have they brought you? (1 John 2:15-17). But God is pleading with you to return to Him (Jer. 2:9).
CCC Hymn 682: I hear the call of the Lamb.
2nd Lesson (John 21:15-25)
Jesus called Peter from a fisherman’s life and showed him the great works of God. Yet, Peter denied Jesus thrice, and after the resurrection of Jesus, Peter went back to fishing.
Jesus asks Peter (and you too), ‘’Simon,…love thou me more than these?’’(John 21:15). It is possible that ‘these’ refer to fish, a fisherman’s life or the other disciples.
For Peter (and all of us), to proof our love for Jesus, we must give ourselves to the service of God’s people.
- Feed my lambs …Tend my sheep (vv15,16, 17)
- Follow me (v19).
Jesus wants you to proof it
- One cannot claim Jesus as his Lord and saviour if he does not submit to His word or will (Matt. 7:21).
- One cannot love Jesus and at the same time be disobedient to Him. Jesus said “If you love me keep my commandments (John 14:15).
- You are the friend of Jesus if you do whatsoever He commands you (John 15:14).
- It is by loving one another that men will know you are the disciples of Jesus (John 13:35).
Reward for Choosing Jesus
This is the conclusion of the matter, choose Jesus today. If you love Him, you shall not lose your rewards (Matt. 19: 27-29).
- You shall sit upon thrones
- You shall receive a 100 fold of all you have forsaken for Jesus here on earth.
- In the end, you shall inherit eternal life.