Divine glory is an important subject throughout Christian studies. God is regarded as the most glorious being in existence. It is also considered that human beings are created in the image of God and though they are imperfect, can share in God’s divine glory as image bearer.
1st Lesson (Ez. 34:11-31)
In the first lesson God appointed Shepherds for His flocks in Israel. Shepherds are those who take care of the sheep (kings, leaders, elders and parents). The Sheep are the people/flock of God (Ps. 100:3)
But they failed because of their wickedness and selfishness. They did not fear God nor love the people.
- God condemns the bad shepherd of Israel (vv2 &10).
- God also condemns the bad sheep who are oppressors (v v 19-20).
In the face of total failure, God decides to take care of His sheep Himself (vv 11-12). And to redress the wrong done to those that are weak and feeble (v22).
God’s marvelous love for us
- Stands among the sheep (guard, guide and govern).
- Saves them.
- Gathers them (from wherever they are in captivity).
- Feeds them “by the rivers and in good pasture”.
- Makes them lie in good fold (perfect rest).
- Seeks the lost.
- Brings back those driven away.
- Binds up the wounded.
- Strengthens the sick.
2nd Lesson (1 Peter 5:1-11)
In the 2nd lesson, God has appointed us as shepherds over His flock (the Church of God). As pastors, elders, overseers, spiritual leaders, etc (v1-2).
Apostle Peter gives us instructions that we must follow if we are to succeed in the assignment.
Steps to Divine Glory.
Serve God with the Fear
- “The fear of Jehovah is the beginning of wisdom; and to depart from evil understanding (Job 28:28; Prov. 9:10 -11).
- One cannot claim Jesus as his Lord if he does not submit to His word nor will (Mal. 1:6).
- One cannot love Jesus and at the same time be disobedient to Him. Jesus said “If you love me keep my commandments (John 14:15).
Love the people (v2)
- Love proves that we are disciples of Jesus (John 13:34-35).
- Without love we are nothing and profit nothing (1 Cor. 13:1-3).
- For God is love (1 John 4:8 & 16).
Be an example to the flock (v3)
- The Good Shepherd loves the sheep and gave His life for them (John 10:11).
- Don’t lord yourself over them (oppress). They belong to God not you (Ez.34:22).
Serve with submission and humility.
- God will exalt you (v 6).
Cast all your cares upon Him for He cares for you.
- Trust in the Lord, He is everlasting strength (v7; Is. 26:3-4).
Be vigilant (sober and watchful) for the adversary (v8)
- Satan has no power over anyone who keeps close to Jesus (Jn. 10:27-29; John 3:16-17)
Resist the Devil when under trial and temptation (v9)
- Whatever you are going through is a temptation (1 Cor.10:13).
- By exercising faith in God (Heb. 11:1; 6; Rom.10:17; Matt. 17:20).
- By Prayer (James 5:13-16).
- Word of God (study the Bible (Ps. 119:9-11)
- Good works towards others.
We will all give account of our stewardship. If we succeed, we shall receive rewards:
- Crown of Glory (v4).
- God will perfect, establish and strengthen us (v10)
- Give us eternal glory.